Skip to main navigation.
Outage Reporting: 1.800.472.2983 or 701.939.6671

February Message from the Manager

Where does our electricity come from?

Jerry King

Over the past few years, we’ve had a number of conversations with our members wondering what Burke-Divide Electric Cooperative’s opinion is on wind energy and solar energy.

Our opinion is an “all of the above” approach. At the end of the day, our goal is to provide our members with reliable electric service at the lowest cost possible.

I thought I would take the opportunity in this month’s Message from the Manager to share where your power comes from and how we purchase that power for you.

Burke-Divide Electric Cooperative (BDEC) is a member of Basin Electric Power Cooperative, headquartered in Bismarck, ND.  Basin Electric Power Cooperative provides power to 141 cooperatives in a nine-state region.

BDEC, along with ten other distribution cooperatives in western North Dakota and eastern Montana, purchase our power collectively from Basin Electric Power Cooperative in Bismarck through our membership in Upper Missouri Power Cooperative (UMPC) a generation and transmission cooperative based in Sidney, MT.

Through this cooperation, our power generation comes from two sources—Basin Electric Power Cooperative and Western Area Power Administration (WAPA).  Around 85 percent of our power is supplied by Basin with the remaining 15 percent coming from the hydro-electric power plants operated by WAPA.  Basin Electric Power Cooperative’s generation portfolio is very diverse and includes coal, wind, natural gas, hydro, oil, nuclear and recovered energy.

It is very important for us to bring the most reliable and affordable energy supply to you that we can, and we are committed to that end. We appreciate the partnerships that we have with our power providers and their commitments to us through our long-term power supply contracts.

If you have any further questions on this subject, please call us at the office and either ask for myself or Heidi.

Until next time,

 

Jerry King

General Manager

BEPC Capacity

 

Powered by Touchstone Energy Cooperatives Logo