Heat Your Home Safely
Remember these tips when heating your home this winter:
- Maintain heating equipment and chimneys by having them cleaned and inspected each year by a professional.
- Keep a glass or metal screen in front of the fireplace to prevent embers or sparks from jumping out.
- Do not burn paper in your fi replace.
- Put the fire out before you go to sleep or leave your home.
- Put ashes in a metal container with a lid, outside, at least 3 feet from your home.
Portable heater safety
- Make sure the heater has an automatic shutoff, so it shuts off it if tips over.
- Place space heaters on a flat, level surface, away from high-traffic areas.
- Plug space heaters into an outlet and avoid using an extension cord.
- Never leave space heaters unattended.
- Only use space heaters with the certification label of a nationally recognized testing lab.
- Don't use a space heater if the plug is broken or the cord is frayed, worn or damaged.