Renting? You can still save!
HEATING AND COOLING
- Turning down the heat at night and while you are at work can result in significant savings. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, you can save as much as 1 percent on your heating bill for every degree you set back the thermostat for an eight-hour period.
- Replace filters regularly in forced-air furnaces. Do not clean and reuse disposable filters.
- Reduce heat to rooms that are not used, and keep doors to those rooms closed.
WINDOWS AND DOORS
- Inexpensive heat-shrink films can be installed over windows to create a pocket of insulating air and reduce air leaks.
- Add window blinds or curtains to reduce energy use. Lined fabrics or honeycombed blinds generally are better insulators.
- Open blinds or curtains on the sunny side of the building to allow the sun to heat the room for free in the winter and reduce the need for additional lighting. Close the blinds and curtains at night to retain the heat.
LIGHTING AND APPLIANCES
- Simply turn lights and appliances off when not in use.
- Install energy-efficient light bulbs.
- Use energy-saving modes on electronic devices. On dishwashers, do not use the dry feature, and ensure computers and video games go into sleep modes if you are not turning them off.
- Even appliances that appear to be off may be using electricity. Unplug appliances when not in use or use a power strip to stop the flow of electricity to appliances that are used infrequently, such as computer printers.
- If you have a washer and dryer, wash only full loads, and consider hanging clothes to dry or partially dry them in the dryer, then hang them to complete drying. This may add humidity to the home in the winter, when humidity is needed.
- Check the temperature of your hot water heater; if it is above 120 degrees, you can save money by lowering the temperature.When washing clothes. use detergents made for cold water.
- Install a low-flow shower head.
- Run the dishwasher only when full.
- Set the refrigerator temperature to 36 to 39 degrees.
- Set the freezer to 0 to 5 degrees.
- Turn off the water while shaving and brushing teeth.